A Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor their spouse or a partner from a foreign country to come and live in Canada permanently, Canada immigration allows you to provide their permanent residence as well with the help of the Canada Spouse Sponsorship Program. The Canadian government has kept spousal sponsorship as their priority for years. The spousal sponsorship Canada immigration program, also known as the common law, is a part of the Family Class Category via which Canada welcomes a number of new permanent residents annually. Being with your family in a foreign country can help you bring a familiar feeling of belongingness and it helps you stay more focused on your personal life as well as on your career. There are a few conditions while applying for a spousal sponsorship program like both sponsor and sponsored person must be approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in order for the sponsored person to receive a permanent residence in Canada.
The procedure to follow while applying for Canada Spouse Sponsorship Program is as follows:
Conditions you will need to meet when you are sponsoring your spouse in Canada:
- You have to be 18 years or older
- A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident in Canada, or considering Canadian Indian Act, you should be a person registered in Canada as an Indian.
- You have to be able to prove that you are not receiving any social assistance for reasons other than a disability.
- You should be able to provide and complete the financial needs of your spouse or partner for at least three years. You have to support them financially.
- If you are a Canadian resident but living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to move back to Canada once your spouse or partner becomes a permanent resident.
Documents required for Canada Spousal Sponsorship Program:
The exact documents required for this sponsorship program depend on your situation. After applying for the program, the requirements given by IRCC must be completed. Any deviation of requirements given by IRCC will result in the rejection of your application. If you are married and looking to sponsor your wife or husband, immigration officers will want to see the following documents:
- Relationship information and Sponsorship Evaluation Questionnaire.
- Marriage Certificate.
- Wedding invitations and photos.
- Birth certificates or adoption documents for any children if you and your spouse have one together.
- Proof that your marriage is registered with a government authority.
Some documents which are definitely asked by immigration officers are:
- Proof of identity
- Mandatory immigration forms from IRCC
- Proof of relationship
- Proof of status in Canada
- Proof of previous relationships
- Additional family information and documents
- Police certificates
- Medical examination
Even after submitting these documents, you are still required to submit any two of the following:
- Proof that you and your spouse own property together.
- Shared bank accounts
- Utility bills with both of your names
- Copies of government-issued IDs
- Car insurance
- Tax forms or any other document that shows that you live in the same place.
The Cost of Canada Spousal Sponsorship Program:
It costs 1,050 Canadian dollars overall to sponsor your spouse for Canada Immigration. The other costs for documents and postage and other services of an immigration consultant should be expected as well.
- Sponsorship Fee – 75 Canadian Dollars
- Processing Fee – 475 Canadian Dollars
- Right of Permanent Residence Fee – 500 Canadian Dollars.
The Process of Spouse Sponsorship Program:
- Step 1: Check the eligibility of both you and your spouse or common-law partner keeping in mind the requirements provided to you by IRCC.
- Step 2: Access your document checklist. There are IRCC tools available where you can input the details regarding your sponsorship application. Considering the fact that the document requirements are different for every situation, this tool will help you find the documents you will need to submit.
- Step 3: Gather and prepare all the documents that are given in your checklist.
- Step 4: Canadian immigration is easier to follow through but the submission of the right documents and everything can seem a little complex without any help from professionals. That is why it can be beneficial for you to get help from Canada Immigration Consultants because missing any one document can lead to the rejection of your spousal sponsorship.
- Step 5: After checking the documents and going through all the requirements, you will have to submit the documents to the respective IRCC office. After submission of the application, it will take approximately 12 months to receive a decision on your case.
The Canada Spousal Sponsorship Program has helped many families to be together in a foreign country. According to reports, Canada is looking to welcome more talented and worthy immigrants into the country. Even though the immigration statistics are down, it is likely that the figures will take off once the situation of COVID would be at ease, and the flights are resumed to normal flow.