Project Description



Canada is a wonderful country to live, study, work and build a life and raise a family in. Canada is committed to reuniting families and does this through their sponsorship immigration programs.

Canada allows you to sponsor your spouse, dependent children or parents, and grandparents for permanent residency under the Family Class of Immigration. There are several categories that are available.

Who is Eligible to Apply Under Family Sponsorship?

As a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor the following family members:

  • Spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner
  • Dependent children
  • Parents
  • Grandparents

spouse is someone you have legally married.

common-law partner is someone you have lived with for 12 consecutive months.

conjugal partner is someone you’ve had an emotional relationship with for at least 12 months but couldn’t live together because of some circumstances or reasons.

Same-sex relationships are considered valid for immigration purposes under these same 3 definitions.

dependent child is someone who is under the age of 22 and unmarried.

What are the Different Types of Sponsorship Under Family Immigration?

Spousal Sponsorship: Spousal Sponsorship allows you to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner to Canada under different sponsorship programs.

If your partner is already living in Canada, then you can apply through inland spousal sponsorship. If your partner is living overseas, then you can apply through overseas spousal sponsorship.

Dependent Child Sponsorship: You can sponsor your dependent children under Canada’s Family Sponsorship program. Your dependent(s) must be under the age of 22.

They could be eligible if they are 22 years or older if they are suffering from a mental or physical disability.

You will be required to meet the Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) level. A birth certificate or adoption papers can be used as proof of relationship.

Parent and Grandparents Sponsorship: You can sponsor your parents and grandparents for permanent residency under the Family Sponsorship program. You must meet the necessary minimum income requirements and agree to provide financial support to your sponsored parents or grandparents.

You can not sponsor your family if you are in prison, convicted of a serious crime, bankrupt, or failed to pay court-ordered alimony or child support.